Narrative 1. Incoming Call

Incoming Call
Around 6 pm, I got an incoming call from a man. He phoned me when I was teaching my private student. He offered me a job. I had to cut off his talk on the phone because I was teaching at that time. I asked him to phone me back when I was home at 8 pm. He said 'yes', then I called off the phone and continued teaching.

I switched off my phone and continued teaching my student. Accidentally, my student heard my talk with the caller on the phone because she was in front of me when I was talking. I told her that I got a job offer in Karimunjawa. Spontaneously, she responded and said, 'If you accept it, Miss, I'll be with you.'.

The learning time was finished at 7 pm. I went home with my motorbike. I was still thinking of the incoming call, 'If it is accepted or not.'. However, that job offer was not urgent for me because it had been a long time since 6 months before I applied. I stopped applying for jobs after that. I chose to enjoy my private teaching from home to home in the afternoon. In the morning time, I managed my small business.

I arrived home at 8 pm. That man phoned me back around 9 pm. He's Mr. Wiliyanto. He phoned me for a job, placed on a private island located in Karimunjawa, Jepara, Central Java.

Before, he asked me to check the company name and its address on the internet. I started to open my laptop and searched it through google search engine to find its website and used Google Maps to find its office address. Finally, I found some sites that refer to that island. I read at glance from the website and blog. First, I read a blog that mentioned the owner and short story of that island. Besides, I found some phone numbers on that blog and website.

Mr. Wili told me about what that island looked like through the phone. He also told me about the surrounding places, while I was reading sites and blogs on the internet. As told from the site and blog, I saw some pictures such as Mr. Wili told me. After reading all pages on the website and blog, I tried to phone numbers. One by one I phoned. There were 4 numbers and one office number which were available on that website.

I tried to call all numbers and made sure of the truth. I started to check and found one number which didn't answer my phone. The last number I called just sent me a message through whats-app and continued talking through messenger. After that, I phoned Mr. Wili back and said to him that there was one number I called but didn't answer. He said to me that it was Ria, his adopted child.

After he said that it was from his adopted child, he offered me to be his adopted child too. I didn't directly say 'yes'. I just said 'is that easy?'. He replied by saying that's very easy for that.

We continued our conversation by phone. I considered it well and thought about that job offer. I started to think about my house that I had to leave and my business and my private students too. 

I started to ask Mr. Wili, 'How about my house, Sir?'. He only said, 'Tomorrow, we buy!'. I started to keep silent and Mr. Wili started to little bit force me to accept that job. He gave me a week to prepare and leave my house.

I started the conversation with the question, 'Sorry Sir, I am wearing a hijab.'. He said that it didn't matter. I tried to make sure again, 'But, tourism commonly doesn't accept women wearing hijab.'

Mr. Wili explained to me at a glance so that finally I accepted that job offer. I asked his permission to bring one friend to accompany me. Mr. Wili permitted me.

I invited somebody to go with me. I decided to invite Rika, my junior at the campus who had just graduated from his graduation.

I decided to phone Rika. I asked her to call Mr. Wili for further information. Besides, I asked Rika to send a message first to Mr. Wili before calling him. It is because Mr. Wili didn't want to call on the incoming call which the name doesn't exist in his phone contact.

On the phone, Rika said to Mr. Wili that I had a business. After that, Mr. Wili phoned me back and asked me, 'Rika said that you have a business, do you?'. I just keep silent. Knowing that Mr. Wili asked me to be a manager for that resort.

In the morning, at 7 am, Mr. Wili phoned me back to make sure if I had left or not. At that time, I still stayed at home and prepared for departure. I didn't go in the early morning. I had to go to Rika's house first. After that, I and Rika went to Jepara by travel. Though Mr. Wili had prepared for a boarding pass for me.

Post a Comment

0 Comments