A Plate for Prestentation

A Plate for presentation
A Plate for Presentation


In 2015, I was working in Jepara. I was placed on a private island, Karimunjawa and it was my first time working in a beach resort. Despite I ever been KKN means Kuliah Kerja Nyata (obligatory (rural) social action internship for advanced university students) in a tourism place when I was in university, for me it’s quite different.

The place is in a small island. It is surrounded by sea. Here I met so many various guests. Germany, America, China, Dutch, Rusia, and so on. I learnt a lot from them, especially their cultures, habits, education, and life. They totally enjoyed their vacation in their life and I enjoyed my job.

Yet, I felt mad at somebody who often visits this resort. It might be because my first time living on that island so it’s my first time too to see him. The old man with the official uniform came near to me. He ordered some food while I was busy with myself and others busy in the kitchen. I shouted to them about the man’s order and somebody shouted and asked me ‘Which plate is going to use Miss, plastic or not?’. ‘Plastic!’, I shouted back from the canteen while she was in the kitchen with other employees.

Hearing what I said, the man felt mad too and said something that I hate ‘She doesn’t know who I am.’. He’s like said to himself. After that, he took his phone from his pocket and tried to phone somebody from the phone list. When it was connected, that old man gave his phone to me to speak with somebody who was phoning. I heard it was Mr. Basuki, one of the employees who worked in Jepara for this resort for marketing staff. He said through the phone, ‘Miss, he’s Mr. Sutana, number 1 in Jepara.’. Suddenly, I gave the phone back to the old man, Mr. Sutana. I shouted back to the staff in the kitchen. I said to use tableware plate.

Honestly, I was mad at that time. I was thinking to burn all plastic plates and use the standard plate for presentation without thinking of people number one, two, or three. I hate the man too because he must phone first to explain who he was. However, he could introduce himself to me as well if he wanted a special service from this resort.

Written by Laela Mahmudah, S.S

Post a Comment

0 Comments