Unpaid 3 Months Teaching in Mushola Addarussalam

Picture 1. Mushola Addarussalam at Griya Primera Kinanthi, Semarang 

It is my experience in teaching for Reciting and Writing Al-Qur’an (tartil Qur’an) in Mushola Addarussalam, Griya Primera Kinanthi RT. 05/ RW. 01, Sendangmulyo, Tembalang, Semarang for 3 months in 2020. In those 3 months teaching tartil Qur’an, I have not gotten my salary from this job. I thought that Mr. Arif, the one who asked me to teach, has responsible for this. As I knew that he’s the one who managed for that prayer room.

Until one day, I got meeting invitation and I decided to take the time to attend it. At that time, at the meeting for welcoming Ramadhan in 2021, I knew that Mr. Romadhon is takmir as well as the priest of Mushola Addarussalam. He also has big responsible too for this case, I thought.

This is my story I would like to tell you about my experience of how I could teach in Mushola Addarussalam for 3 months in 2020 without getting salary.

It was started in early morning time. I went out from the house. With fried casava on my hand, I walked to the farm to see Grandma Mini and feel the fresh air in the morning time with her.

When I walked to the farm, I saw Mr. Arif, my neighbour who lived in front of my house, was washing his car. He stared at me then stopped me. Then, I stopped my steps and started to talk with him. He asked me for a help to teach tartil Qur’an in Mushola Addarussalam, the prayer room nearby his house. Because I was little bit in hurry and wanted to see Grandma Mini, without thinking for long, I said ‘yes’ to him then walked away leaving him. I continued my steps, moved to Grandma Mini’s farm and saw that she had already been in her shack.

I greeted Grandma Mini who had already been in her shack. I sat on the seat in her shack where I loved to sit. I offered my fried casava on my hand to her. It was casava which I got from her the day before. She took me one from the farm and I brought it back to my house. I brought it back after I fried it to become fried casava.  It would be really nice to enjoy fried casava in Grandma Mini’s shack with her but Grandma Mini refused it so I ate my fried casava by myself.

It was really short time I talked to Grandma Mini. She had to continue to finish her farm soon. She worked so hard but enjoyed it. She cleaned the grass which grew on her farm. She said that she wanted to plant rice for her field. I just saw her from her shack. I couldn’t do like she did. She said that it was perfect time due to the weather was appropriate to plant rice. As I saw, she loved to plant rice, corn, and sometime krai. Krai is kind of vegetable who has shape like cucumber but bigger than that. It has dark green color and the taste is quite different.

Around at 8 am, I permitted to go back home to Grandma Mini. On the way before I reached the house, I met Mr. Arif again, asking me to teach started on Tuesday after praying Maghrib. I did not mind too and left.

Two days later was Tuesday. It was the day where I did not recite Qur’an after praying Maghrib with Blacky, my cat. It’s my pet who loved to listen to me reciting the Holy Qur’an until fell asleep every after praying Maghrib.

Tuesday was my first day teaching kids in Mushola Addarussalam. I taught them with Mrs. Agustin, Mr. Arif’s wife at my first day and few days later. There are many kids who became students in it. 

It was begun well at the first time until someday there was a celebration in one of my neighbors, Rangga. It was Rangga’s circumcision celebration. I saw Mrs. Agustin did not teach instead of coming to Rangga’s house who was having celebration. I did not know why she preferred to choose coming to Rangga’s celebration instead of teaching kids in Mushola Addarussalam. Finally, I chose to teach kids. I preferred to take my responsible to them in learning tartil Qur’an.

Later, I started thinking about Mrs. Agustin that teaching in Mushola Addarussalam was not her priority. I saw again and it made me sure about what I saw. Mrs. Agustin went out with his husband, Mr. Arif at the time of teaching tartil Qur’an. By his white car, labelled Pandanaran University, they went out. What I heard from Mr. Arif was that they were looking for food, the chicken noodle for their dinner. I started knowing then that they had no responsibility with the kids. I started to hate them then.

I did not care about Mrs. Agustin and her family too as well. I had already accepted to teach tartil Qur’an to the kids so that I had continued it. I just thought that it was my responsible to the kids, not to Mrs. Agustin or her husband.

***

It was my choice. I preferred to come to continue my teaching tartil Qur’an to the students in Mushola Addarussalam. As my habit, I always get used to come on time. I tried to show to the kids as my students in always coming on time. Even though it was difficult and needed more effort, I had to do it. It was important learning to teach them to be more appreciate to the time. 

How people loved to say that coming late was Indonesian habit, I already knew it and I tried to break it. I showed them through my habit to come on time. Without explaining, kids could come on time step by step.

This teaching program continued in my every day after praying Maghrib. I handled it by myself. Consequently, I couldn’t recite Qur’an with Blacky, my lovely cat. It didn’t matter because I still had quality time with Blacky in reciting Qur’an after praying Subuh. Blacky loved listening me reciting Qur’an and I loved her beside me too.

Day after day until it had been a week, I taught in Mushola Addarussalam and the students became a lot in this seventh day. It made me had to continue to teach them after praying Isha’. Sometime two and sometime three, I needed to finish the rest. It made me so tired.

Saturday came. As usual, I loved to visit my grandmother, my father’s mother on Saturday to Sunday. I made it as my quality time. Then on Monday, I went back to my home and taught tartil Qur’an for kids again in Mushola Addarussalam.

I had to say that it was difficult to teach them alone. With a number of students and I taught them alone without Mrs. Agustin so I planned to reschedule it. I discussed it with the students and they were agreed to reschedule it. 

I said to them to started to learn again after Subuh in early morning. It might be difficult for them to get up in early morning. I could understand them because they were still kids. Finally, I concluded it that we started it after Ashar. Meanwhile, we took 2 days at 7 am to 8 am for a special day in memorizing the Holy Qur’an. It was based on article I’ve already read that it was perfect time to have a lesson in the morning. In fact, it run well.

*****

Someday, there was a woman came to me when I was sitting on the bench. She looked unpolite on my sight. She shouted aloud from a distance. She shouted in Javanese language, ‘Nek ono opo-opo ngomong karo aku Mbak!’, means ‘If there is something happen just talk to me, Miss!’. I began confused of what she was doing. I felt uncomfortable with her. As I knew that Mr. Arif who asked me for help so why did she interfere? I was not sure of her name, Fahmi or Hemi. I did not care at all because she never corrects me when I was calling her false. I perfectly knew that she's Mr. Romadhon's wife, Farid's mother.

In my opinion, she talked like that because her son was studying with me. His name’s Farid. I made him as a chairperson. As common class, I made him be so there was somebody who could handle the class. I pointed Irkham, one of his friends to be vice chairperson so that he could help Farid to set and lead the class. It was agreed.

What’s next? Because I was little bit confused of what was happening, I tried to make a time to talk to her in Saturday when I did not go to my grandmother’s house. I approached her in the morning until afternoon. I asked her seriously about the organizational structure of that Mushola. I did not get answer of my question. When I was talking about tartil Qur’an program, she talked about her house’s problem instead. I tried to follow what she was talking because I saw that she was not interested talking about tartil Qur’an program. It was out of the line.

Her son, Farid, was between us and he asked permission to record the conversation. I permitted him. Lastly, I just talking about how Farid was and her house problem. I did not get the point of what I was asking.

The next day, I suddenly got fever. I said to all of the students that I needed to take a rest and stopped teaching for a while. I suggested them to learn tartil Qur’an with Mr. Romadhon, Farid’s father for a few days. 

I asked them to wait for information from me, it would be continued or not. The day after, there were many children came to me when I was sitting on the bench in front of my house. They were my students of tartil Qur’an in Mushola Addarussalam. I felt little disturbed but I let them play with each other and I just needed to sit down and took a rest. Sitting on the bench and watched them play any game. That was their world.

The next day, I decided to stop teaching then. Hopefully, there would be no matter. I suggested them to learn with Mr. Romadhon. One of them refused and he’s Rangga. The one who stayed near by my house. He said to me, ‘I just wanted to be with you.’ I just gave him smile because I loved to play with him as well. He was so cute and funny on my sight.

***

Day by day, there was nothing happen. I did not think to teach again. Besides, I was not teacher and did not want to be teacher as well. Trying to help but they played on me. Finally, the day before Idul Fitri, I sent Mr. Romadhon to pay for my working or job. I did not tell Mr. Arif but I though he had already known it. Lastly, it had been long time and I did not get amount of transfer to my bank account. I met Mr. Arif again and he asked me to teach again. I just said to him, ‘Wait a moment, Sir!’ and I walked away. I decided to send a letter to Mr. Arif through Rangga. It was formal letter that I reminded him to pay it off based on letter and invoice who I sent to Mr. Romadhon before. Finally, I decided to complain to central and local law courts. Hopefully, that would work well because until this year 2023, I did not get transferred amount of money in my saving bank. I just need a justice.

 

 

Invoice to Mushola Adarussalam
Picture 2. Invoice to Mushola Addarussalam

Post a Comment

0 Comments